How to Protect your Address Book !
How to Protect your Address Book!
I learned a computer trick today that's really ingenious in its simplicity. As you may know, when/if a worm virus gets into your computer it heads straight for your email address book, and sends itself to everyone in there, thus infecting all your friends and associates.
This trick won't keep the virus from getting into your computer, but it will stop it from using your address book to spread further, and it will alert you to the fact that the worm has gotten into your system.
Here's what you do:
- First, open your address book and click on "new contact," just as you would do if you were adding a new friend to your list of email addresses.
- In the window where you would type your friend's first name, type in "A".
- For the screen name or email address, type "AAAAAAA@...".
- Now, here's what you've done and why it works:
- The "name" "A" will be placed at the top of your address book as entry#1.
This will be where the worm will start in an effort to send itself to all your friends.
But, when it tries to send itself to AAAAAAA@..., it will be undeliverable because of the phony email address you entered. If the first attempt fails (which it will because of the phony address), the worm goes no further and your friends will not be infected. Here's the second great advantage of this method: If an email cannot be delivered, you will benotified of this in your InBox almost immediately. Hence, if you ever get an email telling you that an email addressed to AAAAAAA@... could not be delivered, you know right away that you have the worm virus in yoursystem. You can then take steps to get rid of it! pretty slick huh? If everybody you know does this then you need not ever worry about opening mail from friends.